Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Power of the Pop Melody

So I was watching the Grammys a little while ago and I heard this song performed by Lady Antebellum. When they got to the chorus, I swore that I had heard that exact same melody on a hit 80’s song. I mean it was so clear that I could play the melody that I remembered off the top of my head on the guitar. But for the life of me, I could not remember the name of the song or the artist. I just had the melody. Thanks to google, I was able to find the song I was thinking of right here.

Kelly notes – “HELLO?!! Their song “Need you now” SOUNDS like it comes from the 80’s because it does! It is a rip-off of the Alan Parsons Project song “Eye in the Sky.” Compare the Chorus’!”

You be the judge. Listen to the chorus of the first song and compare it to the chorus of the second song (starts at 1:32). Is this a case of The Stones ripping off K.D. Lang or Coldplay ripping off Joe Satriani? How long before the Alan Parsons Project sues Lady Antebellum? Darn catchy 80’s melodies! You never know when they will subliminally make it into one of your songs. :)



[Via http://mapleneck.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment