Thursday, February 18, 2010

124. The Funk Brothers

The Funk Brothers is another name for the Motown Record Company house band from Detroit, Michigan. Throughout the 1960s and early 1970s, the Funk Brothers provided an understated, swinging backing for the many famous singing artists who gained fame with Motown. The list is long, and the Funk Brothers may be featured on more 1960s hit songs than any other band.

The Funk Brothers on Wikipedia

There are few household names in the band, though bassist James Jamerson has gained a great deal of posthumous respect. There’s a great documentary about the band called Standing In The Shadows Of Motown. I highly recommend it. Here are two videos from this great movie:

Here’s Joan Osborne one more time with “(Love Is Like A) Heat Wave”. Wow she sings this well!

Originally I had twelve Funk Brothers instrumentals from the soundtracks, but whittled it down to six. Here they are:

For Once In My Life, The Funk Brothers ✭✭✭

I Was Made To Love Her, The Funk Brothers ✭✭✭

It’s A Shame, The Funk Brothers ✭✭✭

Don’t Mess With Bill (Live), The Funk Brothers ✭✭✭

Bernadette, The Funk Brothers ✭✭

My Girl, The Funk Brothers ✭✭

Related songs:

For Once In My Life, Stevie Wonder ✭✭✭✭✭

I Was Made To Love Her, Stevie Wonder ✭✭✭✭

It’s A Shame, The Spinners ✭✭✭

Don’t Mess With Bill, The Marvelettes ✭✭✭

Bernadette, The Four Tops ✭✭

My Girl, The Temptations ✭✭✭✭

And of course, almost all of the great Motown songs between 1959 and 1972.

[Via http://theperfectipodcollection.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment